Mike Ford is a transactional lawyer with extensive experience in mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, banking, business, corporate, commercial, tax and real estate law.
Over the past 35 years, Mike has served as principal outside general counsel for several clients whose businesses range from agriculture to public banking. Mike manages the legal matters, allowing his clients to focus on their business needs.
Throughout the course of his career, Mike has managed several significant matters for his clients. He handled all legal aspects and the sale of more than $2 billion in assets of a major financial receivership. He handled bank regulatory matters with all federal regulatory agencies for a publicly held bank. He conducted extensive due diligence and director and officer liability projects for major hedge funds. He handled the sale of a $300 million portfolio of real estate and reviewed loans of all types for clients across the U.S. Mike was also sole counsel for the acquisition, operation and later disposition of more than $100 million of farms in Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Arkansas.
Mike has represented both buyers and sellers in the acquisition and sale of assets and stock of major companies. His experience includes: federal and state banks, major office buildings, storage facilities, gelatin plant, oil and gas well servicing and equipment companies, coal mining joint venture, rural telephone company, an equine embryo transfer firm, insurance agencies, gas transmission company, automobile dealerships, energy trading companies and medical technology companies.
Through his commercial real estate practice, he has represented both landlord and tenants in major leases and represented developers of large residential projects, hotels, and retail centers.
- George Washington University National Law Center (LL.M in Taxation, 1974)
- United States Army Judge Advocate General School (Commandant List) (1970-1971)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 1970) Order of the Coif, Phi Delta Phi, Article and Book Review Editor, Oklahoma Law Review (1969-1970); Honor Council Representative Senior Class (1969-1970)
- Northwestern University/University of Oklahoma (B.A. in Letters, 1967)
- Oklahoma, 1970
- United States Supreme Court, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern District and Western District of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Tax Court
Serves as principal outside counsel for:
- Caliber Development Company, a commercial and residential real estate development company
- Energy Related Properties LLC and its affiliated entities, owner, operator of several commercial office buildings and industrial properties in Midland, TX area.
- Wexford Capital LP and its related entities on selected matters
- Waterfront Corporation, owner of commercial office buildings
- Represented several oil and gas well servicing firms including Shebester of Hennessey Inc. and Collins Well Service Company
- Represented the receiver of the Federal Land Bank of Jackson in receivership and liquidated all of the assets of that entity
- Represented Resurgence Properties LLC in liquidating a $300,000,000 real estate investment trust portfolio
- Served as principal outside counsel to Local Oklahoma Bank and currently represents the Bank of Grove and Shattuck National Bank
- Represented major car dealerships, including John Smicklas Chevrolet, on corporate matters and acquisitions and dispositions
- Served as principal outside counsel to Stampede Farms and Redwolf Farms, owner of major agricultural properties in four states, and their related entities
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Section of Taxation, Closely Held Business Committee Chair (2005 - 2007) Professional Services Committee Chair (2008-2011); Vice Chair (2005-2008)
- Fellers, Snider, Blankenship, Bailey & Tippens - OKC (1986 – 2017)
- Ford & Brown - Enid, Oklahoma (1984-1986)
- McKnight, Gassaway, Beck, Seals & Ford - Enid, Oklahoma (1979-1984)
- Baker, Baker, Wilson, Selph & Ford - OKC (1977-1979)
- Gable, Gotwals, Rubin, Fox, Johnson & Baker - Tulsa, Oklahoma - (1974-1977)
- Captain, US Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps- Trial Attorney Regulatory Law Division, Pentagon- Washington DC (1970-1974)
- “The Bad-Debt Blues,” American Bar Association Connection, Co-Author (November 18, 2009)
- "Choice of Entity for Oil and Gas Activities Under the Tax Reform Act of 1986," Oil and Gas Taxes Natural Resources, Prentice-Hall
- "The Whys and Wherefores of Revocable Trusts," Successful Estate Planning Ideas and Methods Service, Prentice-Hall
- “Clifford Trusts Attractive Vehicles for Gifts of Oil and Gas Interests,” Oklahoma Bar Journal
- "Estate Planning for Oil and Gas Interests," Oil and Gas Taxes Natural Resources, Prentice-Hall
- “Section 22 Rates: Unregulated Rates in a Regulated Industry,” ICC Practioner’s Journal
- Best Lawyers - Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities Law
- Leadership in Law Award, Oklahoma Journal Record
- Captain, United States Army Judge Advocate General - Trial Attorney Regulatory Law Office (1971 - 1974)
• Board of Trustees of the Oklahoma City Community College Foundation
• Member of St. Luke’s Methodist Church, Oklahoma City
• Former Deacon, Westminster Presbyterian Church, Oklahoma City
Mike is married to Rebecca Deal Ford and they have have six children. He follows all OU sports and loves to travel with his wife and various kids as when they are available.
- Reading knowledge of French and Latin