David Newsome has more than 30 years experience in practicing law, beginning as a staff attorney for the enforcement division of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. He also served as the Administrator of the Oklahoma Department of Securities. In 2012 he was appointed by Governor Fallin to serve as a member of the Oklahoma Securities Commission and is currently Chairman. He practices primarily in the areas of corporate and securities, mergers and acquisitions, alternate dispute resolution and administrative law. He represents clients in business transactions, regulatory investigations and securities matters. He recently was lead counsel on the initial public offering by an insurance holding company and has served as the SIPC-appointed trustee for the liquidation of a stock brokerage firm.
He is the recipient of the 2001 Tulsa County Bar Association President's Award and he is listed in Best Lawyers in America in Corporate Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation and Litigation-Securities. David has been named an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Securities & Corporate Finance Law and has an AV peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D.) Managing Editor, Oklahoma Law Review
- University of Central Oklahoma Outstanding Former Student 1986.
- 2010-Present Hall Estill
- Cooper, Newsome, Woosley PLLP
- Trustee, Mervin Bovaird Foundation
- Rotary Club of Tulsa
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Member, Professional Responsibility Committee, Fee Arbitration Committee
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Senior Adjunct Settlement Judge, U.S. District Court in Tulsa
- FINRA and AAA arbitrator and mediator
- Chairman, Oklahoma Securities Commission
- Mr. Newsome has taught securities regulation, advanced corporate law and alternate dispute resolution at the University of Tulsa College of Law. He is a frequent speaker on securities issues.
- 2017 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Securities/Capital Markets Law - Tulsa