Mike H. Smith practices in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright. His patent law practice emphasizes chemical, biochemical and mechanical related technologies. He regularly advises clients on a variety of strategic patent matters.
Mike has extensive experience with U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution, intellectual property-related due diligence, portfolio management, technology transfer and licensing and patent validity, infringement, and freedom to operate opinions.
During his career, he has represented clients involved in a wide variety of technologies, including polymers, synthetic fuels, semiconductors, integrated fibers, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, wireless communications, software, aeronautics and heavy machinery.
Mike is a member of the firm's Recruitment & Diversity Committee and serves as Director of the Oklahoma Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section.
Education & Admissions
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Oklahoma Baptist University (B.S. in Biology, 1991)
- Oklahoma (2001)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (2002)
- 2007 - Present Hall Estill
- 2001-2007 Dunlap, Codding & Rogers, P.C.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as Best Lawyers' Oklahoma City Lawyer of the Year in Trade Secrets Law in 2022
- Recognized as Best Lawyers' Oklahoma City Lawyer of the Year in Patent Law in 2020
- Recognized a a Best Lawyers in America in in Patent Law, Trade Secrets Law and Trademark Law
- Recognized in Intellectual Property law by Chambers USA
Community & Professional Involvement
- 2011 - 2015 i2E Donald W. Reynolds Governor's Cup Business Plan Competition Judge
- Immediate Past President, Oklahoma Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Licensing Executives Society