Nationally known in Media Law, we specialize in litigation, as well as in preventive counsel regarding pre-publication and pre-broadcast review. We successfully represent a diverse media clientele, including television, radio broadcast and cable networks, local television stations, major daily presses, weekly newspapers, magazine and book publishers, cable companies, advertising agencies, trade associations and software companies. Hall Estill is a member of the Defense Counsel Section of the Media Law Resource Center. Typical Media Law representation includes: newsgathering issues; tort defense; pre-publication and pre-broadcast review issues; as well as contracts and transactional matters.
Led by two nationally recognized Media Law attorneys, our First Amendment practice assists clients on various matters dealing with free speech, censorship, social networking, advertising, defamation and obscenity defense, copyright & trademark, domain name disputes, fair use, and other First Amendment concerns.
Privacy & Defamation
Our Media Law group can help both media and non–media clients with serious matters such as defamation (libel and slander), privacy, and related claims when our clients are alleged to have invaded others’ rights. Our attorneys have extensive experience with speech–based claims, including all four types of privacy torts—false light, publication of private facts, intrusion, and misappropriation of name or likeness. In addition, they have handled many Oklahoma Open Records Act and Freedom of Information Act matters.
The cases our Media Law attorneys defend typically arise out of media news reports, books, periodicals, movies, websites, and various forms of social media, and their defense experience includes representing both traditional and non–traditional media as well as non–media companies and individuals. Cases involving First Amendment rights can be complex and application of the law to rapidly changing technology is challenging, however, our attorneys have tried numerous defamation, privacy, and related cases and are experienced in assisting individual clients and companies in working with their insurance companies.
Our Media Law Practice Group is ready and able to assist clients with any media law–related matters, including:
- Representation of companies who have been named in traditional and social media defamation, privacy, and related matters
- Working with insurance companies and their insureds on publication tort claims (many corporate liability and some homeowners policies cover publication torts)
- Anti-SLAPP litigation
- Consultation with clients to conduct prepublication and pre–broadcast review and to advise on other content issues
- Consultation or litigation about Oklahoma Open Records Act and FOIA issues, and access rights of media and others to people and places
- Copyright issues
- Trial and appellate court briefing on behalf of amicus curiae on media law matters
- First Amendment Law Attorney Bob Nelon discusses SB 361, regarding Free Speech Zones on College Campuses
- OKC Attorney Jon Epstein: Debate on Public Issues Should be Uninhibited
- Oklahoman Q&A with Jon Epstein: Free speech, press guarantees protect the public
- OKC Media Law Attorney Jon Epstein: Libel Laws offer Important Protections
- Jon Epstein - Case to decide whether the President's Twitter account public forum