Mick McCarthy has 20 years of experience as a licensed patent practitioner (Reg. 38,794); first as a patent agent (1994) and then as a patent attorney (1999). That experience includes both in-house corporate practice and private practice.
Mick focuses his practice in intellectual property procurement and commercialization, having extensive experience in a wide range of technologies with emphasis in the complex electrical, mechanical, process, and computer arts. In resolving IP disputes, he has established a successful appeal practice before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and a successful courtroom litigation practice.
Prior to law school, Mick worked for 12 years as a corporate engineer, primarily in manufacturing and process engineering. That real world engineering background makes him particularly adept at mining IP assets within diverse organization cultures to develop and manage the best possible intellectual property portfolio for his clients.
Mick has served as an adjunct professor at Oklahoma City University School of Law and is a regular speaker on hot legal issues. In addition, he volunteers his time for a variety of organizations, including the Moore-Norman Vo-Tech Business Advisory Center which operates a start-up incubator to promote new businesses and the associated job creations.
- Oklahoma City University School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Oklahoma (B.S.M.E.)
- Registered Patent Attorney licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- 2014-Present Hall Estill
- 2007-2014 McCarthy Law Group
- Fellers, Snider, Blankenship, Bailey & Tippens
- Seagate Technology, LLC - Director of Intellectual Property
- Volunteer, Junior Achievement
- Volunteer, Moore-Norman Vo-Tech Business Advisory Center
- Volunteer, Trinity Legal Clinic
- Defending Against Reckless Patent Enforcement Should Not Be An Ordinary Cost Of Doing Business - Oklahoma Bar Journal, September 14, 2013
- 2017 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Patent Law - Oklahoma City