A former Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Jennifer Benda is an experienced tax attorney who handles tax controversy and income tax planning and compliance matters. She serves as a steadfast advocate for clients, developing relationships with IRS personnel and IRS Appeals and state departments of revenue, and leverages these relationships to successfully resolve her clients’ tax matters. While Jennifer recognizes that out-of-court solutions can be more beneficial to her clients, she is prepared to take cases to court when necessary to ensure her clients are treated fairly.
Jennifer has developed a niche advising and defending businesses in the cannabis industry with tax related matters. In addition, her decade-long tenure as a CPA prior to entering the legal field enables her to provide additional benefits to clients in cases involving valuation or accounting issues and to effectively solve complicated tax issues.
Jennifer has been ranked by Chambers USA in the Nationwide Cannabis Law: Corporate/Transactional practice. Further, she is a frequent speaker nationwide on the topic of Cannabis Law and Taxation.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 2005)
- Texas A&M University - Mays Business School (M.S. in Accounting (Tax), 1995)
- Texas A&M University (B.B.A. in Accounting, 1995)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- 2019-Present Hall Estill
- 2015-2019 Fox Rothschild
- 2005-2015 Baker & Hostetler
- Resolved a large estate tax audit for a client with significant oil and gas holdings. Addressed valuation issues and used specific case details to reach an effective resolution.
- Achieved compliance without prosecution or collection action for the client, who failed to file tax returns for more than 20 years.
- Prepared voluntary disclosures for clients with an undisclosed off-shore bank account to avoid criminal prosecution.
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation (Committee on Administrative Practice, Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties; Court Procedure and Practice)
- Colorado Bar Association, Tax Section Executive Council ABA Liaison
- Law360 Tax Editorial Advisory Board (2014)
- Trainer, IRS Military VITA (2014-Present)
- On behalf of the IRS Military VITA program, Jennifer recruits teaching volunteers and leads training of volunteers who will be preparing tax returns for military families at military bases in Colorado.
- Jennifer Benda Q&A with Denver Business Journal: Cannabis Compliance
- Jennifer Benda Interviewed by Bloomberg Regarding Marijuana Tax Issues
- Jennifer Benda Interviewed by Green Rush Daily - Shares Insight about Marijuana Businesses and Taxes
- Jennifer Benda Interviewed by The Philadelphia Inquirer Regarding Taxes and Marijuna Businesses