Ann Chandler focuses her practice on Real Estate law representing shopping centers, office parks, restaurants and residential developers in the acquisition, financing, development and leasing of real estate property. She has experience in land use, development and zoning issues, real estate licensing and regulation and title insurance issues.
A frequent presenter of continuing legal education seminars on the topics of leasing and real estate financing, Ann taught Real Estate Transactions at the University of Wisconsin Law School and was an adjunct faculty member at the University of Central Florida and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Representative transactions for Ann include:
Shopping Centers. Represented a national department store developer in the acquisition, lease/financing and development of a shopping center consisting of a 202,000 square foot department store, 6,900 square foot c-store, and 55,000 square feet space for additional in-line retail and outparcels. Assisted the developer in pursuit of governmental approvals and in the preparation of easement and use agreements, development and construction agreements.
Restaurants. Represented restaurant operator in the review of franchise agreement, ground lease negotiations, land use and permit applications, financing and construction contract negotiations.
1,100 Acre Utility Scale Solar Development. Represented renewable energy development company in the review of title issues, drafting of $104M resale agreement with utility company, and preparation of numerous easement, use and relocation agreements for a solar farm.
Development of Residential Communities
1,000 Home Multi-phased Residential Community. Assisted in land use approvals, financing, builder take-downs and homeowners association matters for developer.
Golf Course Developments. Represented clients in the development of golf course residential subdivisions and in the purchase and sale of golf courses.
§1031 Replacement Property Acquisitions
Multi-State Apartment Communities Acquisition. Assisted client in the simultaneous acquisition of eight separate multi-family projects located in three states with three separate sellers to consummate a $38,000,000 drop and swap tax-deferred exchange.
Opportunity Zone TIC Development. Reviewed Management, Developer and Tenant in Common Agreements in connection with a client’s multi-million dollar investment of exchange funds in the planned redevelopment of a former hotel property.
Mobile Home Communities
Acted as local counsel to a national mobile home community management company in connection with the purchase of several mobile home communities, including a $22,000,000 purchase. Assisted with review of title and due diligence matters, including regulatory compliance and drafting of form rental agreements.
Real Estate Financing
Lender Representation. Represented lenders in connection with construction financing of hotels, office and industrial buildings and retail developments, agricultural operations, golf courses and manufacturing facilities.
Assisted client in investment in and loan to an entity developing a ski resort condominium community including review of due diligence matters and preparation of closing documentation.
Airport Hangar Sale. Represented client in the purchase of airport hangar at an international airport, including negotiation and drafting of assumption of hangar lease, bill of sale, airport authority approval documents, and joint use agreement with previous owner.
Lakefront Condominium. Prepared development agreement, land swap documents, condominium documents, and easement agreements for mixed-use luxury residential, office and retail condominium project.
- Real Estate
- Corporate & Business Services
- Acquisitions, Dispositions & Commercial Transactions
- Construction Transactions & Disputes
- Homeowner / Condominium Associations
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Finance
- Right-of-Way Acquisition / Condemnation for Pipelines and Utilities
- Zoning and Land Use Entitlements
- Entity Formation & Reporting
- Banking & Financial Services
- Transportation Law
Education & Admissions
- Marquette University Law School (J.D.)
- Marquette University (B.A. in Political Science and History)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- 2021-Present Hall Estill
- Shareholder and Chair of Real Estate Section von Briesen & Roper, s.c.
- Partner, Real Estate Weiss Berzowski Brady LLP
- Kohl’s Corporation – Corporate Counsel
- Akerman Senterfitt – Orlando, Florida – Senior Associate Real Estate
- Foley & Lardner – Milwaukee, WI and Orlando, Florida Real Estate Associate
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Land Use and Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law
Community & Professional Involvement
- Member, Public Policy Committee for NAIOP-Wisconsin
- Member, Board of Advisors, University of Colorado-Colorado Springs Women's Executive Leadership Program
- Member, Metropolitan Builders Association
- Member, Milwaukee Bar Association
- Member, Waukesha County Bar Association
- Member, Downtown Denver Partnership Retail Council
Articles & Presentations
- "Commercial Real Estate Leasing 101," NBI, September 2017
- "Advanced Real Estate Development," NBI, June 2017
- "Commercial Leases Gone Bad: Handling Contentious Issues," NBI, September 2015
- "Mastering Landlord, Tenant and Condo Law," The Rossdale Group, April 2014
- "Commercial Leases: Drafting, Reviewing and Litigating," NBI, May 2013