Steve Soulé is a Shareholder and member of the Executive Committee at Hall Estill. He received a Bachelor of Business Administration (with an emphasis in Accounting) degree in 1986 from the University of Oklahoma and a J.D., with Honors, in 1989 from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
Throughout his career he has represented creditors, trustees, creditor’s committees and debtors in bankruptcy litigation and transactions, workouts, reorganization and creditor’s rights. Steve also handles general business and commercial transactions for clients. While much of his work has been somehow related to the energy industry, he has also been recently involved in matters in the healthcare, retail and construction industries. He currently serves as national and regional counsel for several companies.
He has prosecuted or defended hundreds of avoidance actions in bankruptcy cases. He has been a Chapter 7 Panel Trustee in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma for over 30 years and has also been a court appointed receiver. He is an Adjunct Settlement Judge in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma.
Steve has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy & Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation-Bankruptcy. In addition, he has been named an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, as well as a local litigation star by Benchmark Litigation. Further, he also has an individual AV peer rating through Martindale-Hubbell and was named to the 2011 Power Attorneys and Legal Professionals list by the Tulsa Business Journal.
Steve is on the Pro Bono Committee for the Tulsa County Bar Association. He was a recipient of the 2010 Oklahoma Bar Association Pro Bono award and received a 2016 Pro Bono Legal Service Award through the Tulsa County Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees.
Steve is a member of Leadership Tulsa (Class 21), is a member of Board of Directors for the Committee of 100-Tulsa, a volunteer for Legal Aid of Oklahoma and a member of the Local Advisory Board for OU-Tulsa. He is a Past Chair of the Advisory Board for the Tulsa Metro Area Salvation Army and currently serves as a member of the Executive Committee and General Counsel for the Tulsa Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1989)
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A. in Accounting, 1986)
- Oklahoma, 1989
- Oklahoma Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- 1992 - Present Hall Estill
- 1989 - 1992 Jones, Givens, Gotcher & Bogan
- Member, Executive Committee, Secretary and General Counsel, Tulsa Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Tulsa Class 21
- University of Oklahoma - Tulsa, Advisory Board
- Legal Aid of Oklahoma, Pro Bono Attorney
- Past Chair, Advisory Board, Salvation Army
- Former Board Member, The Foundation for Tulsa Schools
- Board Member of the Committee of 100 - Tulsa
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Tulsa County Bar Association, member, Professional Responsibility Committee
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee
- Chapter 7 panel trustee for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court and Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Presenter, 58th Annual Oil & Gas Conference, sponsored by The Center for American & International Law, February 2007
- Presenter, NABT Spring Seminar, sponsored by the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, April 2008
- Presenter and Panel Member, 2010-2013 Annual Conference of the National Petroleum Energy Credit Association
- 2014 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Bankruptcy - Tulsa