Steve Soulé is a Shareholder and member of the Board of Directors with Hall Estill. He received a Bachelor of Business Administration (with an emphasis in Accounting) degree in 1986 from the University of Oklahoma and a J.D., with Honors, in 1989 from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.
Throughout his career he has represented creditors, trustees, creditor’s committees and debtors in bankruptcy litigation and transactions, workouts, reorganization, creditor’s rights and commercial transactions. Much of his work has been focused on the oil and gas industry. He is currently representing clients in numerous oil and gas bankruptcy cases across the nation, including Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation (Delaware), Samson Resources (Delaware), ATP Oil & Gas Corp. (Houston), and Black Elk Energy Offshore Operations (Houston). A few of the significant energy bankruptcy cases Steve has been involved in the past few years are Enron Corp., CDX Gas, Edge Petroleum, Mahalo Energy, Flying J/Longhorn, Mirant, Calpine Corp., Lehman Brothers Holdings, Farmland Industries, Storm Cat Energy, Magnesium Corporation of America, Borden Chemicals, GMX Resources, SemGroup Corp., and Ponderosa Pine Energy Partners.
He has prosecuted or defended hundreds of avoidance actions in bankruptcy cases. He has been a Chapter 7 Panel Trustee in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma for more than 20 years and has also been a court appointed receiver. He is an Adjunct Settlement Judge in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma.
Steve has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy. In addition, he has been named an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, as well as a local litigation star by Benchmark Litigation. Further, he also has an individual AV peer rating through Martindale-Hubbell and was named to the 2011 Power Attorneys and Legal Professionals list by the Tulsa Business Journal.
Steve is on the Pro Bono Committee for the Tulsa County Bar Association. He was a recipient of the 2010 Oklahoma Bar Association Pro Bono award, and was recognized as one of 23 individuals receiving a 2016 Pro Bono Legal Service Award through the Tulsa County Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and the National Petroleum Energy Credit Association.
Steve is a member of the bar of the State of Oklahoma, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Western and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma, the District of Colorado, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas and the Southern District of Texas.
Steve is a member of Leadership Tulsa (Class 21), is a member of Board of Directors for the Committee of 100-Tulsa, a volunteer for Legal Aid of Oklahoma, a committee member for Troop 1 of the Boy Scouts of America, a member of the Finance Committee at the First United Methodist Church of Tulsa and a member of the Local Resource Board for OU-Tulsa. Mr. Soulé is a member of the Advisory Board and Executive Committee of the Tulsa Metro Area Salvation Army and the Chair of the Board of Directors for the Tulsa Schools Foundation.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1989)
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A. in Accounting, 1986)
- Oklahoma, 1989
- Oklahoma Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- 1992 - Present Hall Estill
- 1989 - 1992 Jones, Givens, Gotcher & Bogan
- Leadership Tulsa Class 21
- American Lung Association of Oklahoma - Past President
- University of Oklahoma - Tulsa, Resource Board
- Legal Aid of Oklahoma, Pro Bono Attorney
- Chair, Development Committee, Salvation Army
- Board Chair, The Foundation for Tulsa Schools
- Board Member of the Committee of 100 - Tulsa
- Boy Scouts of America, Troop 1, Committee Member
- Finance Committee, First Methodist Church of Tulsa
- Board Member, Oklahoma Quality Award Foundation
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Tulsa County Bar Association, member, Professional Responsibility Committee
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Pro Bono Committee
- Chapter 7 panel trustee for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court and Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- Presenter, 58th Annual Oil & Gas Conference, sponsored by The Center for American & International Law, February 2007
- Presenter, NABT Spring Seminar, sponsored by the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, April 2008
- Presenter and Panel Member, 2010-2013 Annual Conference of the National Petroleum Energy Credit Association
- 2014 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Bankruptcy - Tulsa