Bob Looney has been practicing in the Litigation arena for more than 40 years. He has been selected as a Best Lawyer in America in Product Liability Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants since 2004. Bob was chosen Best Lawyers’ - Oklahoma City - Product Liability Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in 2013 and 2015. He has been recognized as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Personal Injury Defense.
In addition, Bob is a Charter Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, has been selected as a Charter Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and is an AV-rated Preeminent attorney through Martindale-Hubbell. Bob is listed in Who’s Who in America and has represented many Fortune 500 companies in product liability, medical device product liability, insurance and pharmaceutical litigation during his career. These include The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, Walgreens, Travelers Insurance, Chubb Insurance, Johnson & Johnson, Boston Scientific, Hillerich & Bradsby d/b/a Louisville Slugger, C.R. Bard, Koch Industries and many others.
Highlights of Bob’s career include:
- Lead counsel for major manufacturer in split rim litigation in Oklahoma.
- Lead counsel for propane suppliers in major personal injury case resulting from gas explosion in Eastern Oklahoma.
- Defense verdict in multi-million dollar multiple plaintiffs product liability trial.
- Defense verdicts in bad faith claims involving aviation insurance policies, health and accident policies and commercial general liability policies.
- Defense verdicts in numerous product liability trials involving tires, industrial trucks, medical devices and other products.
In addition, Bob has authored numerous publications, including:
- Author: “The Defense of Product Liability Cases in Oklahoma” presented to the TIG, Feb. 2000.
- Author: “Overview of the Law of Manufacturer’s Products Liability in Oklahoma” presented to the Travelers Insurance Group, Sept. 1999.
- Author: “Demonstrative Evidence” presented to the Oklahoma Bar Association in Oklahoma City, Spring 1993.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 1970)
- Georgetown University Law Center 1967-1968
- University of Oklahoma (B.A. in Political Science/International Relations, with minors in Psychology and English, 1967)
- Oklahoma, 1970
- Oklahoma Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- 2002 - Present Hall Estill
- 1972 - 2002 Looney, Nichols and Johnson
- 1971 - 1972 Capt., U.S. Army, Judge Advocate, Republic of Viet Nam
- Oklahoma Bar Association Military Assistance Committee
- Oklahoma Bar Association Section on Military and Veterans Affairs
- American Bar Association Member, Sections on Litigation and Tort and Insurance
- American Bar Foundation
- Oklahoma Bar Association Member, Vice Chairman, Tort Law Committee (1991-92)
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Charter Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Product Liability Committee, Drug, Device and Biotech Committee
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel
- Federal Bar Association
- Standing Committee on Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Western District (1996-2005)
- US Army, Captain 1970 - 1972, Republic of Vietnam 1971 - 1972
- Pros 4 Vets - Board of Directors
- Edmond Chamber of Commerce
- American Cancer Society
- St. Lukes Methodist Church
- Infant Crisis Services
- Volunteer legal work for the Oklahoma National Guard 45th Brigade Joint Strike Force
- Author: "The Defense of Product Liability Cases in Oklahoma" presented to the TIG, Feb. 2000.
- Author: "Overview of the Law of Manufacturer's Products Liability in Oklahoma" presented to the Travelers Insurance Group, Sept. 1999.
- Author: "Demonstrative Evidence" presented to the Oklahoma Bar Association in Oklahoma City, Spring 1993.
- Author: "Cross-Examination of Witnesses" and "Closing Argument - The Defense Perspective" presented to the National Business Institute, Inc. Seminar on "Trial Advocacy in Oklahoma," October 1989.
- Author: "Bad Faith - What is the Law in Oklahoma?" presented to the Oklahoma Bar Association Seminar on "Insurance Law in the '80s," December 1989.
- 2015 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Product Liability Litigation - Defendants - Oklahoma City
- 2013 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Product Liability Litigation - Defendants - Oklahoma City