Phil Free's practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling. He has extensive experience with a wide variety of intellectual property cases including patent, trademark, unfair competition, right of publicity, false advertising, copyright, trade secret and domain name matters. He has represented clients in patent Markman hearings around the country, and has experience with both bench and jury trials.
Phil also counsels clients routinely on transactional and pre-litigation matters, including applications, opinions, searches, responses to cease and desist letters, and licensing issues. He manages the IP portfolios for a number of important clients, which include the acquisition, registration, maintenance and enforcement of the clients' IP rights.
Phil is ranked as one of the Top 50 attorneys in Oklahoma by Super Lawyers and is listed as an Oklahoma Super Lawyer in Intellectual Property Litigation. In 2012, he was named Oklahoma's "Litigator of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation, and his case GoForIt Entertainment LLC v. Digimedia.com also won “Case of the Year.” Benchmark Litigation has listed him as a Local Litigation Star for 2012 and 2013. Phil has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006, currently listed in six categories (intellectual property litigation, patent law, patent litigation, trademark law, information technology law, biotechnology law). Best Lawyers has named him as a "Lawyer of the Year" in 2015, 2014, 2012 and 2011. He is listed in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers and enjoys an "AV Preeminent" peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell based on ethics and legal ability. Phil is a Past-President of the Oklahoma Bar Association Intellectual Property Section.
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University (B.S. in Chemistry, cum laude, 1988)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 1993)
- Oklahoma, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 2016 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Patent - Oklahoma City
- 2015 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Trademark Law - Patent - Oklahoma City
- 2014 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Patent - Oklahoma City
- 2012 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Intellectual Property- Oklahoma City
- 2011 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year - Intellectual Property Law - Oklahoma City
- Named "Litigator of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation at the Benchmark Annual Awards – South
- “Case of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation at the Benchmark Annual Awards – South for GoForIt Entertainment LLC v. Digimedia.com
- 2010 - Present Hall Estill
- 1998-2010 - Crowe & Dunlevy
- 1993-1998 - McCarthy, Free & McCarthy
- Oklahoma Bar Association (Past President, Intellectual Property Section)
- American Bar Association
- AIPLA American Intellectual Property Law Association
- INTA International Trademark Association
- I speak Geek