Joel Johnston primarily practices environmental and regulatory law. Within this practice he assists clients on regulatory compliance, permitting, enforcement defense, and transactional matters. Joel also has experience assisting clients with local, state, and Federal agency matters related to air, water, and waste. He has worked on matters across a wide array of industries, including extensively in the petrochemical and petroleum refining industries, as well as in matters addressing natural gas processing, pipeline transportation, oil and gas exploration and production, agricultural production, power generation, industrial manufacturing, and many others.
Prior to practicing law, Joel worked for almost a decade nationally on a wide-array of projects as a technical environmental consultant, most recently managing the national oil and gas sector for a large national consulting firm. Projects he worked on included environmental and engineering aspects of energy development projects across all segments of the industry, including renewable energy, oil and gas exploration, gas processing, pipeline transportation, bulk storage and terminals, refineries, LNG terminals, and retail distribution and marketing facilities.
Joel also has extensive experience addressing technical environmental matters at industrial plants, and those often associated with commercial development projects. His sophisticated understanding of environmental compliance and remediation projects is substantial, and the senior-level business experience he has amassed allows him to work with all levels of client - from field staff to Generals Counsel.
In his legal pracitce, Joel also assists clients with transportation law matters, including state and federal DOT enforcement defense, and penalty mitigation relating to hazardous materials transportation planning, permitting, and compliance. He also assists with compliance related to safety-sensitive positions, as well as records management compliance.
Joel earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of Tulsa College of Law with a certificate in Sustainable Energy & Resources Law. He served as a Notes & Comments Editor for the Energy Law Journal, was on the staff of the ABA Year in Review, and was recognized as a Chesapeake Energy Corporation Scholar. He is bar licensed in Oklahoma, and a licensed geologist in Wyoming.
- University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D., 2015) Energy and Resources Law Certificate
- Colorado State University (B.S. in Geology, 2001)
- Oklahoma - 2015
- Administrative Law
- Alternative / Renewable Energy
- Energy & Natural Resources Services
- Environmental Litigation
- Environmental Services
- General Corporate
- Pipeline Construction & Operation
- Pipeline Regulatory
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Compliance
- Transactions/Real Estate
- Transportation Law
- Water Law & Land Rights
- 2015-Present Hall Estill
- Spring 2015, The Law Office of Lee W. Paden, Legal Extern in the case styled: In the Matter of the Application of Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company for Commission Authorization of a Plan to Comply with the Federal Clean Air Act Cost Recovery; and for Approval of the Mustang Modernization and Cost Recovery.
- Spring 2015, NBI Services, Inc./Pacer Energy Marketing, Legal Extern
- American Bar Association, Member; Energy/Environmental, Corporate and International Law Sections
- Tulsa Bar Association, Member
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Member
- Tulsa Geological Foundation, Chairman of the Board of Directors and President, 2017-current
- Living Arts Tulsa, Board of Directors, 2015-current
- Adjunct Instructor of Geology, Front Range Community College, Fort Collins, CO: Physical Geology, Historical Geology, Environmental Geology, Geology of Colorado (Jan. 2002 - May 2011)
- Hydraulic Fracturing: A National Consultant's Perspective on Trends, Challenges and Opportunities. Presented to:
- Mississippi Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy, Environmental Law Section Annual Meeting (March 2014)
- Oklahoma Agency-Industry Working Group (June 2014)
- ASCE-Louisiana Annual Conference (September 2014)
- Co-Presenter, “A Brief Survey of Regulatory Compliance and Enforcement Trends,” Third Quarter 2016 Oklahoma Agency-Industry Working Group Meeting, (Sept. 2016)
- Panelist, Energy Sector Mergers and Acquisitions, University of Tulsa College Law Master's in Energy Program (January 2017)